The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks B / Berkshire Hathaway

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/this-argument-is-getting-silly-as-i-should-have-30643552.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT: Global Water shortage. Date:  4/19/2013  1:12 PM
Author:  JeanDavid Number:  201045 of 214185

This argument is getting silly, as I should have known it would, and I don't know which countries you are talking about, but I don't really want to go on with a political argument.

I deliberately left the names of the countries out to reduce the political aspects of this.

My point was that there can be no global water shortage, although of course there can be local shortages.

While you are correct that the number of molecules of H2O on the planet will probably remain pretty much the same, the amount of usable water on the planet decreases. One reason is that a lot of the water on the planet is fossil, just as petroleum and coal are. And we are mining it (drilling deep wells for agriculture and golf courses in the desert) and are in the process of pumping them dry. Also climate change is increasing the areas of what you call "local." When these "local" areas increase in size, it becomes less and less acceptable to call it local. Consider that the Sahara desert is continually increasing in size. Sure it is local, but that does not make the lot of these people any better. And if you stuck a desalinization plant on the north of Africa and pumped enough water throughout north Africa to solve their water problems, the Mediterranean would no doubt get much saltier. Who would pay for the pipelines? Would it do any good?

Maybe we do not care about Africa. Let them all die from war or starvation, or thirst, of wars. But Georgia (the U.S. one) is having severe problems. Idahoe seems to have them too: a friend bought property there and she was not allowed to build on it because there was not enough water in that area to allow building. Sure that is local now, but in 25 years? Texas is having a bad time, The Colorado river does not flow well anymore. The water never even reached Mexico for a while. Is THAT local?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us