The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Conservative Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quotthat-quite-simply-is-a-lie-a-typical-bit-30646724.aspx

Subject:  Re: Steyn: Coexistence Date:  4/22/2013  3:00 AM
Author:  Umm Number:  117873 of 134108

"That, quite simply, is a lie, a typical bit of pandering to the right-wing ignorati who lap this stuff up."

Exactly.

If there are any real pro-choice reporters who have intentionally shied away from covering the story because they think it will reflect badly on abortion then they are doing the pro-choice movement a disservice with their ignorance.

The trial isn't about abortion. Gosnell isn't on trial for doing abortions. He is on trial for malpractice and murder. Anyone who thinks that the gruesome horrors that went on inside Gosenell's clinic are what goes on in a typical abortion clinic doesn't have the first clue about what goes on in a typical abortion clinic.

I assume that most who are crying about the perceived lack of coverage are just ignorant of the distinction I pointed out above, but I also think there are a few who do understand this distinction but choose to ignore it in order to smear the pro-choice movement with the actions of Gosnell.

As for the media not giving it attention over and over people don't realize what a terrible story it is for that type of coverage. Viewers don't want to hear 24/7 news coverage of babies of poor urban mothers getting killed over and over again when there are no new details to be reported (and no real expectation of new details to emerge). Any report about the story today is going to contain the same details of the story as written last week.

For a person to think that this is intentionally being covered up a person would have to be clueless that most news is ratings driven. Or think that a reporter would go "Hmm, we could increase our ratings by doing a story on this, but let's bury it instead since it supposedly shows abortion in a bad light."

Turn it around. If "the left wing media" is intentionally not covering this story because of how it reflects on abortion, why hasn't FOX news sent Greta or some other minion to Philadelphia to do two hours of TV each day live outside the courthouse? Because they know that after the first day they would be saying the same things and people would quickly lose interest and stop watching.

I believe it was you who found the link to the article from feminists and pro-choice supporters calling for greater coverage of this trial many months ago. Long before anyone else was looking at it. Whenever this is pointed out to the "it's not being covered" people, they always seem to ignore it. It doesn't register with their meme so they can't even see it.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us