The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/its-been-described-as-quotdisneyland-for-old-30647889.aspx

Subject:  Re: Truth Date:  4/22/2013  6:16 PM
Author:  buffalogal100 Number:  678856 of 734968

It's been described as "Disneyland for Old People." I think I'd like it. I'm very extroverted and the idea of driving around on a fancy modified golfcart talking to people, going up to the clubhouse and swimming the pool, and sitting in the hot tub, going to barbecues, sounds pretty good to me. I mean I like music and dancing too. Especially if they'd let me fish for Bluegill in those little lakes around there. I love fishing for bluegill.

You'd probably get your wish fishing for bluegill. You'd be there with other oldsters swapping fishing and hunting stories.

I just couldn't take that kind of crowd though I liked the dancing lessons. That is just a fraction of life there, however. There would be finding new doctors, too many golf carts, I'm afraid. DH just hates "special" drivers who always think they have the right of way no matter what. Then there are the houses - probably 3 models to choose from. And if you find one it always needs updating. Been there (just not the Villages).

A friend of my girlfriend just bought a house in Boynton Beach. I know her, but not very well. She had a boyfriend of 30 years who died a few months ago and she's bereft of a companion. Thus, maybe the house in Boynton? She'll be on the prowl. That's a town almost 100% for seniors. I'll stick to my ultra quiet neighborhood, but the festive mood at the Villages is very enticing. Also, I find I'm getting the winter blues which never happened before. Don't like the cold and dark. Speaking of cold, our old heater conked out a couple of weeks ago and we had a new energy efficient one installed. While we were at it, we also had central air installed, as well. Had to get duct work done in the attic, the air exchanger put there (hammer, hammer, drill, drill), and finally the compressor was put out back. I hope the noise doesn't scare the birds away. I hadn't thought of it until it was to late to stop the process.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us