The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/again-i-dont-its-not-an-argument-of-30647892.aspx

Subject:  Re: Lets Not Jump To Conclusions!!!! Date:  4/22/2013  6:18 PM
Author:  Jim2B Number:  678857 of 737487

Again, I don't. It's not an argument of equivalence. It's an argument of comparison and difference. When a member of X-group commits terrorism we blame all X. When a member of Y-group commits terrorism we don't blame all Y. There's no assumption that X = Y in every other respect. You have a fundamental misunderstanding of the argument.

Aha!

I understand the problem! You are projecting. Just because you automatically blame all Muslims for the terrorist bombings does not mean that conservatives think like you, because we don't.

You see, conservative thinking is based upon reality. Over the last 10 years there have been approximately 21,000 terrorist attacks perpetrated by Muslims. However, there are about 3/4 billion Muslims in the world. The chance that any particular Muslim you meet is an active terrorist is pretty remote 3 per 100,000.

However, the vast majority of all terrorist attacks (say >3/4) are perpetrated by Muslims. Meaning any investment you make in stopping terrorists will have a higher pay-off (more lives saved) if you look more closely at this particular group.

You'd do even better if you ran a second filter to look for those that have traveled to the middle east at some point in their life or been on other country's terrorist watch lists.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us