The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Buying or Selling a Home

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/when-can-i-qualify-for-a-loan-30648217.aspx

Subject:  When can I qualify for a loan? Date:  4/22/2013  10:28 PM
Author:  EvanED Number:  125099 of 127673

So I'm tired of living in apartments and want a house. The following describes my situation; when am I likely to be able to qualify for a loan?

- I plan to graduate grad school with a PhD in August or so, and begin a new job soon after

- The job I'm taking is located in the same location as my university, and the company has strong ties to my research group

- As a grad student I've been making a little shy of $30K/year, but my new job will pay $110K; my 2013 taxable income is likely to be around $65K

- I am single with no dependents and no debt besides a couple credit cards I pay off in full; to the best of my knowledge, my credit score dances around 760

- I estimate I can have about $25K available for a down payment by the end of the year

- I would probably be looking at houses that are in a $130-170K range. [Using "how much house can you afford" calculators, too expensive to afford based on my grad student income, but cheap enough to afford even if I used my partial-grad-student/partial-real-job income for 2013]

I'm guessing that banks wouldn't be satisfied me coming to them in October or November and would want me employed longer, but when could I reasonably expect one to play ball? Could I qualify early next year, after doing 2013 taxes?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us