The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Industry Discussions / Real Estate Inv. Trusts: REITs

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltltlti-seem-to-recall-vividly-a-halloween-30648247.aspx

Subject:  Re: Everybody wants to be a REIT Date:  4/22/2013  10:50 PM
Author:  nittanyfan Number:  74169 of 77246

<<<I seem to recall vividly a halloween massacre by the Canadian government against CANROY's a few years ago. This happened when a bunch of Canadian companies decided to become "Royalty Trusts" and avoiding Canandian taxes. Canada took away CANROY status from all companies.>>>>

I was thinking similar thoughts when I was reading this article. Would the US ever do something similar to REIT's, MLP's, BDC's etc? I have to believe that these conversions are catching the eyes of Congress and it would not be out of the realm of possibility for the tax treatment to change someday.

Reading through many of the comments made by the readers of this article in the NY Times shows the majority are clueless about REIT's and MLP's and just view the pass through treatment as taking care of corporations and the rich at the expense of people like themselves. So it would be an easy sell to the public, lets just hope the REIT lobbyists are better than the CANROY's were.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us