The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Macro Economic Trends and Risks

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/now-there-is-no-doubt-that-ceos-are-generally-30648432.aspx

Subject:  Re: Why executives aren't prosecuted... Date:  4/23/2013  1:37 AM
Author:  AdvocatusDiaboli Number:  421234 of 457574

Now there is no doubt that CEO's are generally the most important person at a company and have a huge influence in the conduct and culture of the company (Mr. Obvious I know). The double standard is terrible though. I am fine with using either standard. Either pay the CEOs obscene amounts of money but hold them accountable when problems arise or pay them more modest sums and recognize that they are important employees but are not masters of the universe and irreplacable.

I would regulate limited personal liability for any executive making more than, say 2 million dollars a year (including fair value of stock options and bonuses).
Executives are rewarding themselves like owners, so they should bear risks like owners.
The liability of a CEO the event of the bankruptcy of his company could be limited to his entire income derived from that company for the last five years, for example. Or perhaps any amount over 5 million cumulative income.
For other senior executives making more then 2 million, it could be limited at 50% of such earnings.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us