The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/had-to-get-duct-work-done-in-the-attic-the-air-30649049.aspx

Subject:  Re: Truth Date:  4/23/2013  11:49 AM
Author:  CCinOC Number:  679055 of 737399

Had to get duct work done in the attic, the air exchanger put there (hammer, hammer, drill, drill), and finally the compressor was put out back.

I extended the home warranty policy that came with the townhouse I live in. Sure 'nuff, in the second year, the furnace went out, but the home warranty policy wouldn't pay for the duct work because the ducts were lined with asbestos. If I paid to replace the duct work ($1,500-2,500), they'd pay for a new furnace ($500). Well, replacing the duct work would also require repainting for several thousand dollars all the rooms I had just painted when I moved in. I sat out the first winter with no furnace heat. I bought space heaters for the rooms I use most that did a fine job, even though the electric bill was high in the winter only.

Thereafter, I received a full refund of the home warranty policy premium through a class action against the home warranty company that used the bogus "asbestos excuse" to not replace furnaces without a significant expense by the policy holder.

I may not get whole house heating at all. I'm still debating it because I can't see heating up the whole house when I'm not in the whole house. I may get zone control heating. Still researching. Every heating and cooling contractor I've contacted says I must replace the asbestos-lined duct work. *sigh*
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us