The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/every-heating-and-cooling-contractor-ive-30649622.aspx

Subject:  Re: Truth Date:  4/23/2013  3:58 PM
Author:  buffalogal100 Number:  679174 of 757464

Every heating and cooling contractor I've contacted says I must replace the asbestos-lined duct work. *sigh*

It does seem frustrating, but isn't there some kind of state or federal law that requires replacement of asbestos lined duct work when a new heating system is installed? Our contractor gave us space heaters to use when our old forced air heater conked out for good. They came the next day to install the new one, and two weeks later, the central air system. Took them 4 days with a team of 4-5 guys working. One morning, I hadn't even had my shower, hair sticking out to the four corners of the world, still in pajamas, not finished with a cup of coffee and they ring the doorbell just before 8. Good grief. They didn't even blink an eye when I answered the door.

For your situation, If you socked the money away from the refunded premiums, maybe it's enough to cover some of the costs of replacing the ducts? Were there also punitive damages awarded? If you're anything like me, you just say bite the bullet and get it done. Also, there is no asbestos disclosure required on a sales contract if you decide to sell your home in the future. That's a huge plus. Wishing you well with whatever you decide to do.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us