The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Buying or Selling a Home

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-one-thing-which-gives-me-a-little-pause-about-30652214.aspx

Subject:  Re: When can I qualify for a loan? Date:  4/24/2013  8:21 PM
Author:  inparadise Number:  125131 of 127709

The one thing which gives me a little pause about buying is I do have a relatively short time horizon, perhaps around 4 1/2 years after purchase. (Then again, that's guessing what I'll want to do in 4 years, so things could change a lot.)

If you'll forgive me, I'm going to put my Mom hat on here. The above is exactly what concerns me most about your buying a house rather than renting. This is your first real job post degree, if I've read the thread correctly, and the options out there for you are close to limitless. Are you that much a homebody that you want to tie yourself down so quickly, potentially limiting your options? Of course, if you are good enough to get drafted by another company, it's probable they will give you a relocation package and even buy your house from you. I know many people who have done that over and over to the benefit of their nest egg.

Best of luck in your endeavors. Eldest is a college freshman majoring in computer science, spending the summer in his first internship, earning about $25/hour. What a major for today's student.

IP
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us