The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-experience-was-that-it-did-not-affect-our-efc-30657150.aspx

Subject:  Re: Tax Deferred Annuity right for me? Date:  4/28/2013  6:54 AM
Author:  inparadise Number:  118530 of 121219

My experience was that it did not affect our EFC at all. I was out of work for 51 weeks, and so there was very little income coming into our house during that time. I figured that the kids would certainly get some financial aid in that situation, but I was mistaken. They got the same that they had gotten in the years that I worked, and that was just the minimum loans that they are entitled to. That's because they do look at your assets as well as your income.

Thanks 2Gifts. When we filed Fafsa for Eldest they allocated 5% of our qualified assets and 20% of Eldests. Non qualified assets include retirement funds, your primary home, and business assets. YMMV for private school financial aid aps, which often include these in their calculation. We are pretty heavy on retirement funds and business assets.

Even qualifying for deferred interest loans would be of value. The only thing we were offered were loans that were higher interest than I could go get on the open market, payable from day one.

IP
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us