The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/even-qualifying-for-deferred-interest-loans-would-30657167.aspx

Subject:  Re: Tax Deferred Annuity right for me? Date:  4/28/2013  7:49 AM
Author:  2gifts Number:  118531 of 121219

Even qualifying for deferred interest loans would be of value.

Sure, but that's probably not what they will offer you. My kids did not qualify for the subsidized loans even with no income coming into the house. They still were only offered the unsubsidized loans that you can already get anywhere.

I had one child at a private school that looked at the CSS Profile as well as the FAFSA, and one at a private school that only used FAFSA. The results for both were the same.

I did not do the FAFSA for this year, which is their senior year because there was no point since they weren't going to get any aid as I had returned to work. However, first I called DS's school to make sure that his merit aid, which was a pittance, would not be affected.

Pretty much the only reason I had filled it out previously was because if we had a change in situation, I could go back and amend, but if I had not filed it at all, there was no chance at that. Once I found out that for us,it still didn't matter, I stopped doing the FAFSA, but I did it the first 3 years.

My kids are graduating in 3 weeks, so my knowledge in this area is about to become dated, and perhaps others can give you better/more recent experience as you get closer to when this might affect you.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us