The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/giving-careful-thought-to-what-you-need-for-30657300.aspx

Subject:  Re: Retire at 30 Date:  4/28/2013  11:10 AM
Author:  MissEdithKeeler Number:  72112 of 76421

Giving careful thought to what you need for happiness often reveals that much of what you spend is virtually wasted. "Stuff" is purchased, used briefly, and discarded. Saving more is not difficult for those who are serious about it.

So very true. I'm probably happier at this point in my life than I've ever been. It took moving to be closer to family, taking a job that still pays well but gives me WAAAAY less stress, getting rid of over half my stuff, and buying a tiny house for cash.

I've been able to increase my retirement contributions considerably over the last year, and while I'm still looking forward to an early retirement, I don't hate work nearly as much as I used to.

Also having more time to do other stuff has caused further stress reduction--for example, I've chosed to start doing my own yard. I used to think it was easier to have someone else do it, but now I don't have to worry if I left the gate unlocked, did I put the fence around the plant I wanted to make sure he didn't mow over, did he mow it too short/too tall, did I leave money for him, etc.

I thought I was simplifying along time ago, but until I got more radical about it, I didn't realize how great it would be.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us