The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/absolutely-as-warren-buffett-says-quoti-won-30657710.aspx

Subject:  Re: Retire at 30 Date:  4/28/2013  6:11 PM
Author:  PSUEngineer Number:  72124 of 75797

Absolutely!

As Warren Buffett says, "I won the ovarian lottery." I was born a white guy in America -- and that puts me ahead of 99% of the world.

That's not the luck that I was referring to. It was your investment in Dell. At that time, there were numerous PC makers. The Computer Shopper was the size of a Sears Catalog - several hundred pages long. Other computer manufacturers included Zeos, Northgate, and Gateway. Of the dozens of manufacturers to invest in, you happen to pick the winner. If you had picked Northgate, you may have had to work longer. Not much different than today where some people who bought Apple in the teens will say they knew great things were ahead way before the iPod was even on the drawing board.

Now I do agree with paul that you make your luck - in your case living way below your means and investing a large percentage of your income - but the size of your returns was helped out by some luck.

PSU
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us