The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/psuengineer-writes-absolutely-as-warren-buffett-30657789.aspx

Subject:  Re: Retire at 30 Date:  4/28/2013  7:39 PM
Author:  intercst Number:  72125 of 75340

PSUEngineer writes,

Absolutely!

As Warren Buffett says, "I won the ovarian lottery." I was born a white guy in America -- and that puts me ahead of 99% of the world.

That's not the luck that I was referring to. It was your investment in Dell.

</snip>

While I bought Dell and Pfizer in the early 1990's (some would say that's the equivalent of winning the lottery) those two stocks didn't really take off until after I retired in 1994. Prior to my retirement, my investment returns only exceeded the S&P500 by about 1%. I can't say that it was "beating the market" that allowed me to retire early (though it made me wealthy after I retired). Minimizing my living expenses and saving played a much larger role.

Even if you just invested in a 60% S&P500/40% fixed income portfolio when I retired in 1994 instead of the much more volatile mix of individual stocks I held, you'd still have 2-1/2 times your initial portfolio value today after 18 years of inflation-adjusted withdrawals. I believe most retirees would call that more than comfortable.

intercst
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us