The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Political Asylum

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-will-keep-you-updated-but-i-did-not-expect-to-30660030.aspx

Subject:  Re: I HAVE LEUKEMIA .... NO BS, JUST FACT Date:  4/30/2013  10:51 AM
Author:  PosFCF Number:  1874190 of 1976203

I will keep you updated, but I did not expect to be a guinea pig for Obamacare

Thanks all you liberals who delivered this mess to me.

Bears ... NO BS

Thought you might be able to find some answers here:

Grandfathered Health Plans
http://www.healthcare.gov/law/features/rights/grandfathered-...

What This Means for You

If you have health coverage from a plan that existed on March 23, 2010 — and that has covered at least one person continuously from that day forward — your plan may be considered a “grandfathered” plan.

This is true whether you are covered by an individual health insurance policy that you had on that date, or you are covered by a job-based health plan that your employer established before March 23, 2010. This is true even if you enrolled in that job-based plan sometime later.

A grandfathered health plan isn’t required to comply with some of the consumer protections of the Affordable Care Act that apply to other health plans that are not grandfathered.

Here’s a look at which consumer protections do and don’t apply to grandfathered plans:

Consumer Protections in the Health Care Law that DO Apply to Grandfathered Plans

Many of the law’s consumer protections that took effect on September 23, 2010 apply to all plans, whether they are grandfathered or not.

Please note that these consumer protections will be added to your plan when it begins a new plan year or policy year on or after September 23, 2010.

ALL health plans:

are prohibited from applying lifetime dollar limits to key health benefits.
are not permitted to cancel your insurance coverage solely because of an honest mistake that you or your employer made on your insurance application.
must extend dependent coverage to your adult children until they turn 26 years old with one temporary exception. (Until 2014, grandfathered group plans do not have to offer dependent coverage up to age 26 if a young adult is eligible for group coverage outside their parent’s plan)

I thought the no lifetime cap on coverage portion of the ACA act might be of particular interest to you if you have to undergo extensive and repeated chemo therapy as some of my friends have had to do.

Good Luck,

Poz
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us