The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Political Asylum

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/on-the-plus-side-you-know-that-you-will-have-30660281.aspx

Subject:  Re: I HAVE LEUKEMIA .... NO BS, JUST FACT Date:  4/30/2013  12:38 PM
Author:  eatenbybears Number:  1874221 of 1950699

On the plus side, you know that you will HAVE health insurance come January... insurers like to get rid of people who are actually expensively sick.
How are you insured? Via one of those state pools for the uninsurable or do you have a regular individual policy?
Under normal circumstances, your insurer will terminate your policy and you will be uninsurable.

I have private insurance now, have had good policies under my wifes insurance, the hugely expensive MI/coma was on my insurance, but the last one my wife had, even with the employers contribution was around $1100 per month. (looked up on one of the few Obamacare exchhange sites, and to get the same type of insurance I have now, after any subsidies to bring the price down was still $12000 per year, but I could get no detail on the coverage other than some blanket statements.)

As for "insurers like to get rid of people who are actually expensively sick." they like to, but as long as you continue coverage they cant (say ... have job, get laid off, carry cobra for a year, get another job or wife gets job with insurance ... as long as no break in coverage, they cant refuse coverage .... believe you can even carry garbage insurance and then bounce back up when employer insurance becomes available again)

Bears
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us