The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Self Employment Tax Date:  4/30/2013  2:33 PM
Author:  ptheland Number:  118559 of 127613

Since my contracted gross income is about $120K, I know I have to pay federal tax on the social security and retirement but is it subject to the self employment tax as well?

I'm surprised Phil didn't drag out Sister Mary Severe and keeping antecedents straight. I'm not sure what income you are referring to with the pronoun "it" in your sentence.

So let's just cover all of the bases.

Your contract income is subject to self employment tax. (It's also questionable whether that contract income should be anything other than wages, but that's a different question and one you didn't ask.)

Social security and your retirement income are not subject to self employment tax.

They are all subject to federal income tax.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us