The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/if-colleges-are-teaching-differently-now-it-may-30662238.aspx

Subject:  Re: College degree value Date:  5/1/2013  1:19 PM
Author:  alstroemeria Number:  49238 of 56764

If colleges are teaching differently now, it may be because more classes than ever are taught by adjuncts instead of professors. In a few cases that might be a good thing--for example, my husband, as an adjunct and later a staff instructor, brought a lot of real-world experience to his classes. OTOH, he mostly taught 100-level classes for non-majors, where his experience was unimportant.

And if college degrees are less meaningful than decades gone by, it may be partly due to students, their parents, and administrators now having the upper hand over these non-tenured teachers, and the threat of bad student feedback, not to mention lawsuits and simply getting a teacher in hot water with their dept chair/dean/provost, intimidates teachers into giving better grades than students deserve, even passing students who technically flunked. Teachers that hold students to the highest standards tend to be shunned by students. Not a problem if you have tenure, but a big problem otherwise.

We've been blurring the lines too much, I think, between types of schools...the vocational and remedial mission of community colleges has crept into 4-year colleges and even research universities.

The well-rounded liberal arts student who can think and argue their way out of a paper bag is a dying breed. We're training too many young people into thoughtless, heartless greed-heads and manipulators. I dunno...some of them are probably learning that at home more than school.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us