The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/alstro-quot-if-colleges-are-teaching-30662308.aspx

Subject:  Re: College degree value Date:  5/1/2013  1:49 PM
Author:  telegraph Number:  49245 of 59130

alstro: " If colleges are teaching differently now, it may be because more classes than ever are taught by adjuncts instead of professors. In a few cases that might be a good thing--for example, my husband, as an adjunct and later a staff instructor, brought a lot of real-world experience to his classes. OTOH, he mostly taught 100-level classes for non-majors, where his experience was unimportant."

-----

In the 60s in Engineering School......some of the 'worst' courses I took were from aged 'professor' types who really weren't into teaching. Dull......I"d say half the courses had so-so profs.....and of course, grad students for problem solving sessions.....and lab work.....

-------

In the 80s, I went and took my Master's Degree in EE at GWU at the 'off campus program'. 90% of the faculty were 'adjunct' who taught only one or two courses a semester and most in the evenings after work at an off campus site (large E-Systems building). Nearly every one was exceptional. All were good.

One worked for the Naval REsearch Labs.....30 years...and he knew his stuff cold....after all, he worked in the industry 30 years - had his PhD....you had to have a PhD to be an adjunct there....great course and there were FOUR of us in the class. Off site, you could have 4-15 in a class. Nothing more than 20. Personal attention. Latest technology....current 'state of the art'.....

Another 'wrote the book' on the subject....all great profs and I had a blast.....small class sizes.....you could talk to the profs, they weren't rushing to get to the next class or whatever.....

later I took another 9 courses in the Telecom Policy Program.

One prof was a retired FCC Commissioner.....who was there during the AT&T Divesture - working on it....... another was a Lobbyist in telecom issues.... people right in the middle of stuff. Doesn't get any better. Reams and reams of handouts ......

I had 3 'on site' courses.....they were all good with tenured profs....but I'm sure a lot of the 'on site' courses were taught by less exciting and dynamic people who just had 30 years in academia as their qualifications.....

---

I probably would have been bored out of my mind in a 'rigorous' on site full time program with old fogey profs...... but in the evenings I had a blast, went year round finishing my degree in 2 1/2 years..and took another 18 months worth of 'fun courses' (well fun to me - still needing lots of hard work to pass)......in a follow on program.

Had no desire/illusion of he Phd level..... not for me....

And no...getting my MS degree got me not a dime in pay increases.....

t.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us