The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-have-money-saved-for-my-son-in-a-coverdell-30662914.aspx

Subject:  Re: selling stock to pay for school Date:  5/1/2013  6:45 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  118563 of 121144

I have money saved for my son in a Coverdell Education IRA and also shares of DODBX in a UGTMA account.

I'm going to stop you here since your questions about the Coverdell indicate that you know nothing about how they work. Please get yourself a copy of IRS Publication 970 and devour Chapter 7. After that holler back if something is unclear.

The UGTMA account is your son's money. There is no tax benefit to his using this for secondary school tuition. Any capital gain or loss on the sale creating the cash would be reported like any other sale on his Schedule D. (I'm assuming that this would be an allowable use of money from this account, but that's not a tax law question, and I'm not a lawyer.)

From a purely tax perspective using money from the Coverdell is better since as long as you don't withdraw more than the qualified expenses there is no tax liability.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us