The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Amended return issue Date:  5/2/2013  11:19 AM
Author:  Wradical Number:  118567 of 127513

Greetings Experts --
This year I filed an incorrect return in which I claimed a federal tax refund of $800. Within 48 hours I became aware that I had claimed an erroneous deduction and filed an amended return along with my check for $600.
This week I received an refund check for the $800!!!
I have tried to contact the IRS but no joy. I would like guidance on what to do next. Just sit quietly by until the IRS gets back to me????

I'm not sure there's a problem.
Is the difference in tax supposed to be $1400 or $200? Sounds like $200.

On your amended return, when calculating the tax paid to date (lines 11-18), is the $800 subtracted as "Overpayment if any, shown on original return or adjusted by IRS"? If so, that's the $800 you just got, and it's yours to deposit.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us