The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltlti-said-quotyou-will-need-to-make-a-30664933.aspx

Subject:  Re: The facts of life Date:  5/2/2013  7:16 PM
Author:  SeattlePioneer Number:  49308 of 58858

<<I said "You will need to make a living. Dad and I aren't rich enough to support you for your whole life. There are four basic ways to do this. One is to use your back - your physical strength. Construction work, factory work, drive a truck - like that. The second is to use your brains. Get a degree in something you like. The third is if you have some natural talent, such as music or acting or whatnot that you can do better than most and have a passion for. The fourth is sales ability - being able to connect with people and get them to vote for you or buy whatever it is you're selling.

>>

Ummm. I don't think your list includes the skilled trades. While they often involve physical labor, that's not the primary reason tradesman are relatively well paid. They have real skills and knowledge that is needed to make stuff and keep it working.

I'd add that as an additional category, although perhaps you were using your story to direct your children in a direction that you happened to like.

Seattle Pioneer
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us