The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-rift-in-ideology-that-has-plagued-us-since-30665529.aspx

Subject:  Re: College degree value Date:  5/3/2013  9:03 AM
Author:  alstroemeria Number:  49317 of 56837

the rift in ideology that has plagued us since the 80's (IMHO)

I think this rift has always been there, my whole life at least, but modern communication and manipulation techniques have enabled the leaders of that ideology to make it popular at the expense of the open-minded and pragmatic, let alone confirmed members of opposite ideologies.

Back in the 50s the dude with the placard claiming "Repent! The End Is Near" was a figure of derision. Now a bunch of those dudes may get a majority of politicians and justices to ignore or even overturn Roe v Wade, the Clean Air Act, fair elections and voting rights, etc. Never mind that minimum wage hasn't kept up with inflation (nor have most middle class paychecks).

Of course, liberals have made occasional good use of modern communication techniques as well. WE've persuaded a slight majority to favor gay rights --I think helped by celebrities like Ellen De Generis and Jason Collins, TV shows like Will & Grace, making Americans aware that there've always been many gay soldiers, gay football players, gay neighbors, gay relatives in our midst.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us