The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: 401k max and and Roth Date:  5/4/2013  9:52 AM
Author:  ferjen Number:  72182 of 88498

Once you've maxed your 401(k), start a Roth. Keep in mind, the gains in your Roth cannot be touched until age 59 1/2, so if you plan to retire earlier than that, you might want to also fund taxable accounts, especially if dividends are part of your retirement plan.

And you CAN fund a Roth even if you exceed income limits through a backdoor Roth conversion by funding a Traditional IRA and immediately converting to the Roth tax-free provided you have no other Traditional IRA's.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us