The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/51-trades-25-round-trips-in-63-years-isnt-a-30667745.aspx

Subject:  Re: S&P & SMA Date:  5/4/2013  3:42 PM
Author:  MurrayS Number:  72190 of 76237

51 trades (25 round-trips) in 63 years isn't a lot of buying & selling.

Perhaps I don't understand the strategy, I count 3 dips of the S&P below the 200 day SMA in the last 2 years alone.

How does this backtest?

That's the problem, isn't it? You can't backtest this, so all you have is personal anecdotal data over a limited period of time in one phase of the market.

Why can't I back test it? The logic is simple to implement using historical data. In fact I did back test it and it did improve returns over a straight 60/40 balanced portfolio.

I merely brought it up for discussion and possible analysis as well as trying to understand the SMA strategy you've mentioned.

The major problem I see with this meta-statement is encapsulated in the concept of "Would you rather be right or rich?"

By almost any measure, I'd consider myself "rich" already. I'm not overly concerned with being "right", I don't even think there is a single "right", but I do want to continue to learn.

-murray
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us