The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/its-going-to-take-time-how-much-i-cant-tell-30668800.aspx

Subject:  Re: New here! Have questions! Date:  5/5/2013  3:59 PM
Author:  Fuskie Number:  306957 of 308363

It's going to take time, how much I can't tell you. And yes, you may take a hit when you close the old cards, but hopefully that will be offset by higher credit limits on the cards you replace them with. Just get the replacements first.

Glad to hear the health and employment situation has improved and that your financial recovery is well underway, but it is going to take time and require patience. Thats why I like CreditKarma, because you can track your simulated score over time and play what-if games looking forward.

And remember, just because you do it online doesn't mean you can set it and forget it. Whether you manage your money online or using paper and pencil, you still need to read every statement and bill, verify all charges and make sure all payments are both scheduled and completed on time. That is how you rebuild credit. It ain't sexy but it works.

Fuskie
Who notes it takes 7 years for a BK to roll off and you are only a couple years in, so unless you are using all cash, buying investment real estate another year might prove to be ambitious, but if that is your goal, use it as motivation to do everything right and put yourself in the best position for when the opportunity does come...
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us