The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ive-never-found-that-using-or-not-using-ones-30668818.aspx

Subject:  Re: New here! Have questions! Date:  5/5/2013  4:09 PM
Author:  MetroChick Number:  306958 of 308365

I've never found that using or not using one's credit card actually increases one's credit score. It seems HAVING available credit, being current on any carry-over balance, and not having a high utilization rate seems to be the thing that effects the score in relation to credit cards - but I haven't found that they care whether you don't use a credit card for 6 months or more - just as long as you have it.

So others here have given good advice on how to look for no-fee cards. Once you have them, that doesn't mean you have to charge something on them each month.

I would also say - you might want to hold off on any "investment property". It doesn't sound like you have reserves to handle if you had an investement property today and hit a worst-case scenario. I think you'd be better off focusing on more of an emergency cushion - 3 months isn't much in today's world.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us