The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/on-emergency-funds-right-now-i-have-between-6-8-30670466.aspx

Subject:  Re: New here! Have questions! Date:  5/6/2013  5:18 PM
Author:  MetroChick Number:  306974 of 308519

On Emergency Funds:

Right now I have between 6-8 months. I say "between" because some is ear-marked for other things (like a vacation) - but if I lost my job I wouldn't be spending money on a vacation anytime soon. I would like to build that up to a solid 8 months (not including vacation or any other ear-marked accounts).

But - I'm a singleton. Not to be all "gloom and doom" but I think the sum of an emergency fund probably needs to be increased as more household members are dependent on the income of 1 or 2 members - and rarely does that get press. A lot of times we tend to thing of emergencies as happening 1 at a time, but what if one's hit with multiple emergencies? Based on your username, if you are a mom of 5, and if they're young and living with you, that's 5 plus you and your spouse who could all have health problems just at a time when the main breadwinner might have income problems. Again-I'm not trying to be all gloom-and-doom, but I do think it's a consideration that often gets missed in "average" financial advice.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us