The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/great-night-30672777.aspx

Subject:  Great night! Date:  5/7/2013  11:20 PM
Author:  Colovion Number:  681204 of 740878

I got an e-mail yesterday from the BSA Troop that our chartered org also charters inviting me to an orientation meeting. Technically it was for incoming patents, but since we're (on paper) the feeder Pack to this troop and I'm the Committee Chair I figured getting to know them was a good idea.

I was wrong... it was a GREAT idea! I was very impressed. I saw a patrol leadership meeting (impressive young men showing tremendous leadership skills) and the adult leaders were very informative and helpful. Even though my son is only a Tiger Cub (four years until he's even eligible to broad over!) they made sure to givenr some swag for him. I also realized that if my son does join this troop he will be joining in their 100th year if operation (1917-2017). Nice!

It's a strong troop, they started an endowment 50 years ago so they're able to give scholarships to less-advantaged kids. They have dozens of adult volunteers (the most I can get to my meetings is three!) and a long history of highly decorated Scouts.

Boys can join whatever Troop they want... but if my son doesn't pick this one I'll be crushed. I would love to work with these people!
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us