The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-handle-homeowners-insurance-claims-many-of-30673502.aspx

Subject:  Re: those vicious pit bulls!!!!! ;) Date:  5/8/2013  11:52 AM
Author:  bdluckyshot Number:  681242 of 757840

I handle homeowner's insurance claims, many of which involve dog bites. Being a dog person, I never have any problems going to someone's home, taking statements, getting photos of the dogs, etc., and in the prohibitive majority of those cases, the dogs are extremely friendly and were in some form or another provoked by the "victim". More often than not, while I'm sitting down with the owner and taking the statement, the dog in question either ends up on my lap or right next to me, which is no problem except that it makes my Lab jealous when I get home.

With all that said, the meanest dog I've ever seen was at some redneck's house up in the Florida panhandle. I wasn't sure of the breed when I arrived at the home, and I saw "Beware of Dog" signs all over the house, including inside the house. The dog was kept in the master bedroom, and when I asked the owner to hold him for me so that I could take his picture, it took me four shots before I could get a photo of anything but teeth. In fact, the little bastard bit the owner's wife while she was holding the dog for me.

Turns out, the neighbor's kids had been poking and tormenting the dog through the fence for months, and eventually he turned. My biggest concern while I was at the house was how I was going to explain to my client that I killed the policyholder's dog after he bit me.

The dog was a Jack Russell Terrier.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us