The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quotwe-as-in-you-and-me-havent-offered-our-30673681.aspx

Subject:  Re: Union boss - total slimeball Date:  5/8/2013  12:57 PM
Author:  Art53 Number:  681255 of 734986

"WE as in you and me, haven't offered our returning veterans one damned thing. Walmart! offered ALL returning veterans a job which at a minimum will pay $8.81 / hour. Before you get your liberal anti-Walmart thang (TM) on, why don't you post your counter-offer. Do you promise to hire any and all returning veterans a job? If so, what do you plan to pay them? You can be certain there isn't a single liberal fool (small "f") at TMF who can top Walmart's offer. Ironically, that won't keep them from insulting Walmart for making that very generous offer." - Jim
--------------------

Everyone has to start somewhere. That job at Wal-mart might be the opportunity to go back to school and get a college degree in something. It might be the motivation and the money that a returning soldier needs to go down to the local community college and sign up to start taking classes.

After I dropped out of the University of Georgia after my freshman year, after cutting meat at Winn Dixie for $3.10/hour for 6 months I drove 14 miles to Indian River Community College in Ft. Pierce, Florida and signed up to re-take English 101 again. The second time I made a B in the course which was the motivation I needed for me to go back to the University of Georgia and try again. I didn't think I'd ever be able to pass English 101 but I did.

So the fall of 1973 I was back in school at the University of Georgia. Trying again.

Life is a journey. You got to start somewhere. Just because you start at Wal-mart doesn't mean you are going to be there forever.

Art
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us