The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/question-1-since-the-condo-was-in-her-not-30675580.aspx

Subject:  Re: inheritance vs gift Date:  5/9/2013  12:11 PM
Author:  Wradical Number:  118592 of 121316

Question 1: Since the condo was in her (not FIL's) name, from a tax perspective this is a gift (and not an inheritance), correct?

Correct. But in this case, to you, it's free of income taxes either way, and since what DH is getting is cash, there are no questions of basis, value, etc. So on your end there's no difference.

Question 2: To use Option 2, would it be OK for the check to be made out to just DH? We're in Maryland (not a community property state), if that makes a difference. So I don't know if the IRS would consider DH & me to be half-and-half recipients just by virtue of our being married, or if the check should be made out to "Mr & Mrs YG." (I think SIL would be more likely to honor a request to write "Mr & Mrs" on the check than to file a Form 709.)

It would certainly be OK, and doesn't create any reporting problems on your end. Whether or not she wants to file 709 and/or elect to split gifts is between SIL, her husband, and their attorney or tax preparer.

Bill
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us