The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/dgett2-i-wrote-ive-never-met-a-401k-plan-30678106.aspx

Subject:  Re: Roll old 401(k) and allocate assets Date:  5/10/2013  5:11 PM
Author:  joelcorley Number:  72225 of 75383

dgett2,

I wrote, I've never met a 401(k) plan where you could roll out the holdings without selling.

To which you replied, When the same firm holds both accounts, they will normally offer the roll-over by transferring shares rather than sell/buy.

That's not been my experience; but I'm sure my experience is not exhaustive. I've had accounts with ING (account servicing was purchased from Aetna Retirement Services, where the plan was started) and John Hancock. They both offered to roll into an IRA. When pressed, they both told me they would have to liquidate and purchase similar shares and that the transfer was not an actual transfer of assets.

I also once had a 401k at Principal(pre-2000s); but they never offered me an option to roll it out. I see that they do offer IRAs now.

I also had a 401k at Scudder in the mid-90's. I don't recall if they even offered me the option to roll into an IRA, though I know they offered IRAs at the time. If you haven't heard of Scudder, they were based out of Boston and were purchased by Deutsche Bank in 2002.

I've also had accounts with three other companies (ADP, JP Morgan & Wells Fargo) in recent years. They have offered rollovers, but I've not cared to ask for specifics. (I haven't rolled the Wells Fargo account yet, so I could still ask them if you'd like another sampling.)

- Joel
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us