The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/can-you-give-me-an-idea-what-that-investment-30679234.aspx

Subject:  Re: IRA Direct Transfer - Questioning my Decisi Date:  5/11/2013  3:26 PM
Author:  Rayvt Number:  72230 of 76392

Can you give me an idea (%) what that investment mix would look like going into retirement, and after retirement?

I agree with Gene. Bonds right now are extremely risky.

If you are new at investing, you are in a precarious situation. You don't know what advice is good and what advice is horse-s**t. Unfortunately, most of the advice you'll read both online and in things like Money Magazine is 90% the latter.

If you do the "safe" thing and put 100-age or 50/50 in bonds, you'll be locked into 2% yield for the next 30 years.

I've been retired for 7 years now, and 90% of our portfolio is in equity(*) portfolios and 10% is in preferred stocks. Exactly 0% is in bonds on purpose.
But good preferreds are hard to find now, so as my good ones are getting called most of that money stays in cash.

(*): All my equity portfolios have some kind of filter that shifts the investment to short-term bonds/fixed-income at the appropriate times. See the papers by Faber & Antonacci.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us