The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Atheist Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/minnesota-30684955.aspx

Subject:  Minnesota! Date:  5/15/2013  11:32 AM
Author:  Goofyhoofy Number:  422990 of 445550

So now Minnesota has decided to allow gay marriage. That makes it state #12, which I think pretty significant.

An amendment to the Federal Constitution, last voted on in Congress in 2006, requires assent of 3/4 of the states. That would be 37.5, or rounded up to 38. Fifty minus 12: 38. So in order to pass, opponents of gay marriage would have to get every single other state in the union to assent, which seems unlikely.

I also like that it's in the midwest, allowing neighboring states to see that the world does not end if you allow gay couples equal rights.

I don't know how many more there will be before the end of the line - which will surely happen as we reach the reactionary states (30 have passed amendments to state constitutions proscribing it, mostly South and midwest), but after some (lengthy) period of time, perhaps the courts will recognize that equal rights are equal rights. It took them 100 years to recognize that skin color wasn't an adequate rationale for discrimination, and perhaps sexual orientation will follow, someday.

Anyway: 12!

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us