The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-wonder-if-mark-steyn-would-be-able-to-read-the-30685141.aspx

Subject:  Re: From Mark Steyn Date:  5/15/2013  12:32 PM
Author:  mcbdds Number:  682036 of 726224

I wonder if Mark Steyn would be able to read the Constitution.

After all, he is a high school drop out.
Hoch

One of my life's lessons:
In 1979 I became the clinic manager of an enormous dental clinic. After a year I was invited by the owner to a weekly Tuesday luncheon at a local Italian restaurant. The members of this group were a ragtag bunch of old guys, intolerant, whiskey soaked, grizzled and hard bitten. A few had a high school education, a few dropped out by the 8 th grade, and a few didn't even go to school at all. All drove 20 year old trucks, All lived in trailer parks, or very modest lower income neighborhoods. They were contractors, builders, electricians, mortgage loan officers, race car drivers, restaurant owners.
One thing in common was that each was a multi millionaire. I sat very quiet for the first few years and listened. Despite appearances this group possessed enormous life wisdom.
I was "accepted" despite of my "education" and eventually contributed over the next 30 years.
I joined in some real estate projects with this group and did very well. I purchased the clinic, scaled it down, and practiced solo for the next 32 years.
These guys are all dead now, but I still hear their sage advice in my memory.

My lesson: Wisdom and experience are more important than education.

mcb
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us