The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Atheist Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/smaller-government-drb-30685260.aspx

Subject:  smaller government, DrB? Date:  5/15/2013  1:00 PM
Author:  1poorguy Number:  423016 of 445663

Another reason for smaller government. :-)

Decided to pull this into a new thread. As you are one of the very few semi-reasonable conservatives we encounter at TMF (most are practically foaming at the mouth), I wanted to probe this further.

How do we make it "smaller"? Please be relatively specific. I don't expect precise head-count cuts, etc. But just saying "eliminating waste" isn't helpful. Do we cut air traffic control? Do we reduce the Navy by x-number of ships? Do we shutter the SEC or the EPA or the FDA (or all of them)?

Let's really talk about this and analyze it.

I will start by saying I think government needs to be BIGGER. I don't say that lightly, nor to be antagonistic. Government is the ONLY thing that can protect the people from corporations (see, for example, the recent example of GM in Brazil...Brazilians clearly need more government to protect them!). Without government to create and enforce regulations we are at the mercy of various corporate (and even private but powerful) interests. Factor into this the enormity and complexity of modern society, and the myriad of things that entails that the Founders never dreamed of (telecommunications, air travel, amazingly deadly weaponry, factory farming and ranching, pharmaceuticals, cyber-space, etc, etc, etc), government MUST be bigger to be sure the People are not victimized. Nothing and no one else can accomplish that. And that, of course, costs money.

Your turn.

1poorguy
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us