The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Social Clubs / Deranged Monkey Criticism

Subject:  Re: Poll: Technical Analysis Date:  5/15/2013  5:30 PM
Author:  EightTrack3 Number:  17148 of 23655

Okay, last time around the Gold Merry-Go-Round. I think what I find so infuriating about this thread is the total lack of conditional statements, which I believe is central to superior investing.

Gold is valuable, is not money, costs money to store and insure, is significantly more common and slightly overpriced compared to platinum which has more usefulness both industrial and jewelry, and has *not* been a store of value the past 30 years.

For the 313 million Americans, yes. There are 6,919 million (7 billion) in the world. Gold is going to under-perform long-term priced in local currency in locations with superior monetary policy, strong property rights, stable governments, free markets, and the rule of law.

There are billions of people who live in conditions without these rights, which is why Chinese brides and Indian brides and Islamic brides demand gold, not stock certificates.

Even in many first world countries, gold is a respectable choice. Think of gold priced in yen. Has gold been a bad investment versus Japanese stocks in recent decades? Given the massive government debts in Japan, poor demographics, and unknown eff