The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Macro Economic Trends and Risks

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/a-law-that-says-a-company-may-not-demand-that-its-30686892.aspx

Subject:  Re: PD: Owner made fast-food restaurants succes Date:  5/16/2013  10:28 AM
Author:  hrse Number:  422998 of 465270

A law that says a company may not demand that its clients not buy similar products/services from anyone else, or punish them for doing so, is called an "anti-monopoly" law and leftists agree this is good.

A law that says a labor union may not demand that its clients not buy similar products/services from anyone else, or punish them for doing so, is called a "right-to-work" law and leftists agree this is bad.

A contract between a buyer and a seller can stipulate excluisvity on one side, the other or both.

Right to work laws prevent unions from making a contract that includes exclusivity.

In my office, if we have an office party that has food we have two options: Buy from the approved vendor, or be pot luck. There is an exclusivity between my employer and the food vendor.

My fraternity made an agreement with Rolling Rock, that as long as we didn't bring any other brand of keg into our house, they would provide us with a discount and promotional items.

These contracts are made all the time between businesses. Why not between business and labor?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us