The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Atheist Fools

Subject:  Re: smaller government, DrB? Date:  5/16/2013  12:13 PM
Author:  1poorguy Number:  423068 of 462038

OK...I get to run to the lab and play with copious amounts of HF. (yea) But I think I can get a reply done before I run off.

The other poster addressed the numbers exceedingly well. So I'll keep this more qualitative.

What if we just put the size of government back to where it was then and make trims and adjustments?

Because things have changed. Society has changed. There are new challenges. There are a lot more older people now that boomers like you are retiring. Let's take this to an extreme to illustrate the point. "Why don't we take it back to the budget from 1800?" 1800 there were no airplanes, so no need for an FAA or NTSB. There wasn't much industry yet, things were still mostly agrarian, so no OSHA. Phones, radios, TV, etc? Nope. No need for the FCC. Freeways? For what? Horses don't need freeways. And would FDA have been needed to approve leeches? Probably not. Etc, etc.

We've come a long way since 1800. There's a lot more that government needs to do that ONLY government can do. It's not as dramatic a change since 1990, but there are still a variety of new challenges as society evolves. Genetic patents, rights for gay people, and a host of other things. Government needs to be bigger because it needs to do more. Heck, on NPR this morning they had an analyst on who was saying that we ar