The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Atheist Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/and-here-we-have-to-agree-to-disagree-30687707.aspx

Subject:  Re: smaller government, DrB? Date:  5/16/2013  4:54 PM
Author:  1poorguy Number:  423090 of 445614

And here we have to agree to disagree (obviously).

Not really. That's like saying "we'll have to agree to disagree that gravity is an attractive force". Nope. History has shown my position to be correct, yours to be wrong. Period. QED. There is no "agree to disagree". There is "process this new information and adjust your position to the correct one".

...-- let's add an exposure to Korean at the junior high level or rotate it from year to year with Spanish and French). Adjust the lunch menu for local tastes. Whatever. In addition, the community gets more involved. The school principal is hired, not appointed by some administrator in Washington, DC.

That's all fine. The issues I highlighted were curriculum and funding. If schools want to do more in terms of curriculum, go for it. Add Korean. More power to 'em. As long as they are teaching real science, real history, etc., and are meeting the same standards as schools in CA or LA or NY or MT.

If the local district wants to go to a year-round schedule (when I was a kid it was called "concept 5"), fine. Or a modified year-round (like CUSD does) with only a 6-week summer, OK. Just meet or exceed the standards.

Further, the feds can ensure that even poor districts get fully-funded schools and well-paid teachers. So kids in rural MS have a shot at learning something just like kids in 90210.

I notice how you totally side-stepped my examples because they disprove your position. State and local is too easily corrupted to the detriment of the kids. The three I mentioned were off the top of my head. I'll bet others here could name even more examples.

And I didn't even get into how one local board (e.g. Texas) gets to decide what school books will be printed, and end up affecting the texts for districts around the country as a result. Yeah, let's multiply the damage from one loony (but key) district's board.

1poorguy
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us