The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Conservative Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ethics-30687971.aspx

Subject:  Ethics Date:  5/16/2013  7:51 PM
Author:  ggleblanc2 Number:  119097 of 137131

With all the recent revelations of the IRS, DOJ, and EPA running amok, I remembered something today that happened in 2008 - 2009.

I work for the Department of Justice, Federal Bureau of Prisons. Federal employees are restricted from partisan political activity because of the Hatch Act. For the most part, the Hatch Act is a good act. It allegedly keeps federal government agencies from becoming politicized.

Our bureau has never had much interference from Congress or political appointees. I guess you don't score political points for running a prison system. For the most part, that's been a good thing.

In 2009, all federal employees had to take a 4 hour course in ethics and the Hatch Act. The reason for this course is that more than 300,000 employees of the federal government violated the Hatch Act in 2008. As you might imagine, these violations were not done by rabid supporters of McCain and Palin.

Normally, the minimum penalty for a violation of the Hatch Act is a 30 day suspension. Since so many employees were in violation, top agency officials decided to have us endure a mandatory ethics course instead.

It doesn't matter whether Barack Obama ordered federal agencies to violate the law or not. There were plenty of federal employees willing to violate the law for him in 2008. There are plenty of federal employees willing to violate the law now for Barack Obama.

Remember,
Faith in God
Hope in the future based on knowing the truth
Charity to our fellow men and women
Duty to ourselves, our community, and our country.

Gilbert
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us