The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Atheist Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/years-ago-i-took-a-class-in-negotiating-and-the-30689022.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT!! Smaller gov't, until you come after mi Date:  5/17/2013  12:59 PM
Author:  quizzical100 Number:  423142 of 445661

Years ago I took a class in negotiating, and the instructor told us how he buys a new car:

* waits until the end of the month and arrives around dinner time with a couple of small, cranky, hungry children in tow, whom he turns loose in the show room
* having done his reaearch ahead of time, he tells the sales person that he will give them $X for the car of his choice, no negotiating, take it or leave it
* generally the sales person will try to stick to his usual script, upon which our would-be buyer says "never mind, not interested, I'll just look around". He proceeds to check out the entire show room inventory at his leisure while the cranky, hungry children whine and carry on at increasingly loud volume

Our instructor said that in his experience, the sales person will nearly always cave: end of the month, needs to meet sales quota, wants his dinner, and please dear lord get those children out of here before they drive every other customer out of the show room.

quiz
(all is fair in love and car buying)
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us