The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Atheist Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/how-are-you-going-to-make-up-for-all-the-kids-30689026.aspx

Subject:  Re: smaller government, DrB? Date:  5/17/2013  1:00 PM
Author:  Windchasers Number:  423144 of 442518

How are you going to make up for all the kids that go through the failing systems?

How do we make up for them now? I'm looking to make a system that has fewer failing kids, not more.

How are you going to pay for all the research to collate all the data.

Grants from DoE, probably. I'm not sure who is funding the studies on things like how well abstinence-only education does, but something like that.

How long will this experiment run?

How long does each experiment need to be significant? Depending on what we're looking at, probably 3-15 years. By the time kindergarteners are mostly through college, I expect you have as much information as you'll ever have. But we may need much less time than that, really.

Will you test (thalidamide) on a whole generation or will you just segregate out small portions of a group (you'll probably need a control) so that at least some of them have a chance?

Isn't testing on a whole generation what we already do? Look at No Child Left Behind. By letting some states or locales dabble with new ways of teaching, we test out ideas before we roll them out to everyone.

If you've got a better idea, I'm all ears. But right now, it seems like our options are:
1) Let the states do whatever they want (yay, creationism in science class!).
2) Let the federal government enforce new rules on the states without bothering to test whether they work (No Child Left Behind).
3) Let the federal government enforce ideas that have been tested and proven to work.

I know which one I'd pick.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us