The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Atheist Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/clearly-weve-screwed-the-drug-thing-up-but-i-30689183.aspx

Subject:  Re: smaller government, DrB? Date:  5/17/2013  1:59 PM
Author:  Windchasers Number:  423152 of 465357

Clearly we've screwed the drug thing up, but I don't think making tobacco illegal and ecstasy legal is exactly the answer. The theory needs a lot of work.

It's not to say that I'd use that chart, since obviously there are other aspects of "harm" besides just physical harm: mental harm, impaired driving, etc. But it's clear that our current drug Schedules are not evidence-based, not even close, and that's the main thing I want to change.

There's no reason that possession of 1g of heroin and 1g of ecstasy should be punished similarly, when there's a lower death rate and fewer health problems from ecstasy than from alcohol. That is just absurd. Not to say I want to make alcohol illegal, either! I just want a rational approach to drug laws.

Oil gets a massive subsidy in the form of "armed services", how do you end that?

Did you see my cuts to the military?

But really, to the extent to which the military subsidizes our oil, we should put a tax on it to pay for that. Let's make the market pay the real, unsubsidized price of oil. And while we're at it, let's put a carbon tax on oil and coal and gas, for global warming.

Electricity: Hoover Dam, TVA, Grand Coulee, Niagra Falls and hundreds more.

Oof. Hydroelectric, while amazingly efficient, has all sorts of environmental and civil rights problems that I can't really address. For instance, over a million people and 1200 villages were displaced to build the Three Gorges Dam, and it also helped drive a few local species to extinction. Yes, it's going to bring a huge amount of electricity to the region, and is a net good for the country as a whole, but.. if I already fear the government overstepping on privacy and human rights, how should I deal with the government overstepping on property rights and environment?

Too hard to answer. Next?

If you want to have your economy play in the future, maybe you need some subsidies in the present to get things going. Where would the internet be without all that initial government research? How about satellite communications? GPS?

I'm all for government research. I want to increase it, and I'd even double our basic research (as % of GDP) from what we spend now. But whereas research works best by being public and open, technology development works best when handled by companies. They're better at bringing products to the market at an affordable cost.

With the Internet, the government laid the groundwork and did the basic research, and private citizens and companies took it live and made it what it is today. That's h