The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Political Asylum

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/1-501c4-is-the-section-of-the-tax-code-30689544.aspx

Subject:  Re: Lamest scheme ever Date:  5/17/2013  4:43 PM
Author:  albaby1 Number:  1878081 of 1950215

(1) 501(c)(4) is the section of the tax code dealing with social welfare organizations.

(2) Political organizations don't need 501(c)(4) status to be tax exempt. All they need to do is file a FORM 1112-POL with their return.

But these groups weren't seeking to register as political organizations; rather, they were seeking confirmation that they were social welfare organizations. Ultimately, they were found to be social welfare organizations.

I disagree. And again, whether they filed for 501(c)(3) and whether they were granted 501 (c)(3) status is irrelevant to my argument. They didn't need 501(c)(3) status to be tax exempt and therefore the status, its delay or denial, didn't affect their operations. In effect, they were seeking a "permit" they didn't need and (in my opinion) didn't qualify for in the first place. Tea party groups are explicitly and primarily political groups. As I've said repeatedly, political groups don't need 501(c)(3) status.

I know you disagree. Your argument is premised on the assumption that these groups weren't 501(c)(4) entities in the first place, and thus could not have been prejudiced by any failure to certify them. But that assumption is factually unsupported. All of them were eventually found to meet the requirements for 501(c)(4).

Given the scores of groups that were found to be eligible for 501(c)(4) designation, your opinion that tea party groups are "explicitly and primarily political groups" is not borne out by the facts. A group that calls itself "Tea Party" can be a political group - there are lots of 527 groups that call themselves "Tea Party." And a group that calls itself "Tea Party" can also be a social welfare group - again, there are lots of 501(c)(4) groups with "Tea Party" in their name.

Albaby
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us