The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  purchase foreign property, send money legally Date:  5/19/2013  10:20 AM
Author:  jh4986 Number:  118612 of 127513

I posted this question in though I have not received response yet. Hope it is OK to repost the same question here.

We plan to purchase a retirement home in a foreign country. I understand that we are not required to report the property to IRS, until we sell it.

Below is what I see from IRS website:
Q3. Does foreign real estate need to be reported on Form 8938?

Foreign real estate is not a specified foreign financial asset required to be reported on Form 8938. For example, a personal residence or a rental property does not have to be reported.

My question is: can I simply write a personal check with say, $150,000 USD for the down payment from my checking account? This money is already taxed. Do I need to report this money or fill out any forms? We will have a mortgage and pay monthly payment also.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us