The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-hadnt-checked-this-discussion-recently-so-i-30692103.aspx

Subject:  Re: Hey, RV! Date:  5/19/2013  4:59 PM
Author:  RetiredVermonter Number:  18401 of 19222

I hadn't checked this discussion recently, so I had missed the "Hey, RV!" topic until today!

We retired here from another state, and we LOVE it!

We love our comfortable home, which is on a dirt road, outside a small town, and is situated on several acres, up on a ridge. There are so many trees, with mountains visible in the distance, lovely sunsets, and things like our hummingbirds who just came back yesterday, a gorgeous male scarlet tanager who showed up today (maybe passing through), and so much more.

We love the peace and quiet that usually surrounds us, too, and the neighbors who live out of sight, and who are there if you want to get together with them or need them, but who mind their own business, usually, just as we do.

We're on Social Security, plus some extra we pull from my self-managed IRA (I work at juggling buys and sells to pretty much sustain it), and a wee bit from a stock dividend my wife gets quarterly, but our federal and state income taxes are virtually nil. (We don't live high on the hog.)

VT also has a "Homesteader Exemption" which anyone can apply for each year, too. You apply when you file your state income taxes (if you need that) or just on line, and, depending on your income, the state sends a rebate check for a pretty nice chunk of your local property taxes to your town! In our case, that amounts to about 40% of our property taxes, so that's pretty nice!

Whoever said they dislike Vermont is biased, for whatever reason!

To each his or her own. We're totally happy with Vermont, and always willing to answer questions!

Vermonter
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us