The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Mechanical Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-have-been-around-since-the-beginning-with-this-30692278.aspx

Subject:  Re: maybe done Date:  5/19/2013  6:53 PM
Author:  MoeBruin Number:  243230 of 251794

I have been around since the beginning with this board and I still have most of my money in MI as it has done better for me then any other type of investing.

I was fortunate to start right before the bubble making 300% in my first 18 months. In the crash I lost 50% for a net after the crash of plus 50%. Since then my returns have been mostly mixed but overall have beaten the market.

I have not done as well as hiphop. As of April 30th my 10 year return is 10.78% vs 7.88% for the S&P 500. But my 5 year return is only 2.6% vs 5.2% for the S&P 500. This year I was slightly ahead 13.2% vs 12.7% and with May's gains probably still just a slight bit ahead.

I consider my 5 year lag do to two causes: 1) I was slow to use timing but think it is good to stop those huge drops so the last big downfall I got killed by not using it but two years ago I got hurt a bit by using it (i.e. using it too late). 2) Also do to fear of screens mostly being due to cherry picking I until this year loaded up very heavily on the RS-26 screen. And the last few years have been awful for momentum screens.

Now I am balancing and using more of a true blend and using ETF screens to put me into things other then US stocks when appropriate.

I am no longer confident during normal times that I will do that much better then the market but I do feel if the roaring bull ever comes back that I will be glad I stuck it out with MI.

Moe
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us